The information below will be subject to change as the tax season gets under way. If you have any questions contact us at email@example.com or call 203-287-2680
Tax Day for individuals is Tuesday, April 18 for both Federal and State taxes.
The Library has copies of the Federal 1040 and 1040-SR Tax Forms and Instruction Book 1040/1040-SR
The Connecticut Department of Revenue Services no longer sends tax booklets and instructions to libraries or any other bulk distribution sites. Tax forms for the state can be accessed online, see the DRS contact information below. Additionally the Library has printed out copies of the CT-1040 Resident and CT-1040 Part-Year/Non-Resident forms that are free of charge. There are also a small number of binders containing CT-1040 instructions that can be borrowed for 2 weeks at a time; see the information desk.The library can also print a copy of the instruction booklets for a fee.
Federal 1040 tax forms and instructions are also available at our Whitneyville and Community Branch libraries.
Note that print forms and correspondence submitted to the IRS will take longer to process than electronic submissions.
Federal Tax Forms and Information:
Order or Print IRS tax forms & publications:
- Schedule A
- Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return)
- Other Federal Forms, Instructions and Publications
- If you are an employer or business and need to order information returns (all series of forms W-2, W-3, W-4, 1096, 1098, 1099, 3921, 5498, and other products), please visit Online Ordering for Information Returns and Employer Returns to submit an order.
- To have Printed Federal Forms Mailed to you:
Connecticut Tax Forms and Information
Telephone assistance available Monday thru Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
860-297-5962 (from anywhere)
1-800-382-9463 (Within CT-Outside Greater Hartford area only)
860-297-4911 (TDD/TT Users only)
Patrons without access to a computer or printer can request forms by calling the DRS at 860-297-5962. Paper forms are only being sent to those without access to either a printer or a computer. Only one copy of each form will be sent by mail.
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers
Taxpayer Assistance Centers operate by appointment. To make an Appointment call 844-545-5640
From the IRS: “When you arrive, wear a mask and stay 6 feet away from others. Reschedule your appointment if you feel ill.”
For more information see the IRS website.
The closest TAC is the New Haven Office located at 150 Court St. New Haven, CT 06510. For office Information call 203-492-8609, for Appointments call 844-545-5640
Services available at the New Haven IRS office:
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Assistance with questions about tax law changes in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is available year-round. See Tax Cuts and Jobs Act for more information.
- Basic tax law assistance (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return)
- Economic Impact Payment Issues
- Form 911 , Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) Request
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (More Information)
- Payment arrangements
- Payments (check or money order only)
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (All forms, instructions & publications are readily available online on IRS.gov. Availability is very limited in IRS offices)
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is back for in-person and Drop-Off tax assistance at Hamden High School
For in-person tax prep:
- Hours: Mon and Wed, 5-7:30 pm, and Sat, 10 am- 1:30 pm, at Hamden High
- Open Jan 30-April 17 (except for Feb 8, Feb 20, April 12 and Hamden High School closures)
- No appointment necessary
- Masks required
For Drop-off Service:
- Come to the High School
- Fill out the intake form.
- Leave the form along with your tax documents, with the VITA greeter at the reception table. The same volunteer team you previously worked with will prepare your returns.
- Come back a week later to sign your completed documents.
Additional Hamden location:
M.L. Keefe Community Center
11 Pine St. Hamden, CT 06514
Drop Off Services
For virtual tax preparation:
Upload your information, starting Jan 30, 2023, to www.GetYourRefund.org/HHS-CT
* Household income under $66,000 to File for multiple years with an IRS-certified tax preparer.
* Household income under $73,000 to File on your own for the current year.
* Government-issued photo ID for taxpayers and social security or ITIN number verification for everyone on tax return
* Documents detailing all income and expenses needed to file (visit www.irs.gov/individuals/checklist-for-free-tax-return-preparation for a list of potential documents needed)
Alternatively, if your household income is greater than $73,000 you can use
https://www.myfreetaxes.com/ to file a simple return (including State returns) for free.
Questions? You can reach us at HamdenHighVita@gmail.com. Your VITA team looks forward to serving you!
(Source: United Way of Greater New Haven)
- Photo ID for you (and spouse if filing jointly)
- Social Security cards or statements for every member of your family who’ll be included on your return
- W-2s and/or 1099s from ALL of your jobs in 2022 plus Form 1099-G from the state of CT showing any unemployment compensation
- Interest, dividend and investment statements from your financial institutions, if applicable
- Information on any expenses you paid in 2022, for example tuition and student loans (Form 1098T, 1099E); annual mortgage statement if you own your home; charitable contributions; record of home or car taxes paid to your town; documentation from any child care provider of their tax ID number and how much you paid.
- Health Insurance Statement from Access Health (Form 1095A from the CT Marketplace)
- If you come in-person, a mask must be worn by everyone coming inside.
- Want your refund direct deposited?
- Please bring in your routing and account number (available on your checks).
Questions? Email Hamden VITA at HamdenAdultEdVITA@gmail.com