A WiFi hotspot is a device you can use to connect a mobile-enabled device, such as a laptop, smartphone or tablet, to the Internet. The hotspot is portable, so you can connect your device almost wherever you are, like at home, on the bus or in the park.
WI-FI HOTSPOT POLICY
In order to promote access to online resources and connectivity, all three branches of the Hamden Public Library have mobile hotspots available for lending. A hotspot is an internet connecting device, which enables users to connect mobile-enabled devices. Mobile-enabled devices include laptops, smartphones or tablets.
• The patron must be a CT Resident, age 18+ with a library card in good standing (i.e., the library card is not blocked due to fines in excess of $10, unpaid bills, etc.). The patron must present their library card and fill out this lending agreement form to complete the checkout process.
• The hotspot may be borrowed for 3 weeks, and cannot be renewed. Failure to return a hotspot by the specified due date will result in a warning for a first late return, and suspension of hotspot borrowing privileges on a second or subsequent late return. Said suspension will be for a duration of three months.
• Hotspots must be kept in a temperature-controlled environment (not left in vehicles or in extreme temperatures).
• The hotspot equipment must be returned in person at the location where the hot spot was checked out.
Hotspots may NOT be returned in the Book Drop. Failure to return technology equipment to the library service desk where it was checked out may result in automatic suspension of hotspot borrowing privileges as well as the possible cost of damage/replacement fees.
• The library is not responsible for any liability, damages, or expenses resulting from the use or misuse of hotspot equipment, its connection to other electronic devices, or data loss resulting from its use.
• By borrowing and initiating use of the Library’s hotspot, the user agrees to abide by the Library’s policies and rules, and agrees to hold the Library and its agents harmless from any and all claims, losses, damages, obligations, or liabilities, directly or indirectly, relating to the use of the Library’s hotspot and internet access provided by the Library.
• Deliberate altering of any files or modifying the configuration of Library-owned equipment is strictly prohibited.
• Overdue Hotspots will be deactivated within 24 hours after the due date.
• The user is responsible for returning all hotspot equipment to Hamden Public Library undamaged and in good working condition, and is responsible for loss or theft of the items. The full replacement cost of the hotspot device itself is $180. The replacement cost for the charging cord and case are $10 each.
• The library is not responsible for information accessed using this device or for personal information that is shared over the internet.