National Chemistry Week (NCW) is a community-based program of the American Chemical Society (ACS). This annual program unites ACS local sections, student chapters, technical divisions, businesses, schools, and individuals in communicating the importance of chemistry to our quality of life. NCW occurs annually during the third week of October.
The New Haven Local Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) is sponsoring an illustrated poem contest for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Write and illustrate a poem using the NCW theme, “Fast or Slow … Chemistry Makes It Go!” Your poem must be no more than 40 words and in the following styles to be considered:
HAIKU – LIMERICK – ODE – ABC POEM – FREE VERSE – END RHYME – BLANK VERSE
Possible topics related to the theme include:
• Activation energy • Catalysts and enzymes • Collision theory • Fast vs. slow reactions
• Pressure • Reaction rates • Temperature • Surface area
Entries will be judged based upon:
• Artistic Merit – use of color, quality of drawing, design, and layout
• Poem Message – fun, motivational, inspiring about yearly theme
• Originality Creativity – unique, clever and/or creative design
• Neatness – free of spelling and grammatical errors
Contest Deadline: Sunday, October 24, 2021 11:59 pm
Prizes: Will be awarded K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
Contact: Sally Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org