Create Kindle Account
You should have created an Amazon account for your Kindle when you first registered you device. You will be using this account to transfer library eBooks to your Kindle.
1. Go the Hamden Public Library’s home page (www.hamdenlibrary.org). You will find the link to Overdrive Digital Library listed under Downloadable Media.
2. Search or browse for a title. Click “Borrow” to select your title. You may place a hold if the eBook is already checked out to another patron.
3. You will automatically be directed to your book bag when you select a title. From there, you may proceed to checkout, or continue browsing. You may take out up to 3 ebooks at a time.
4. Begin the checkout process by entering your library barcode number. You will then be asked to confirm your checkout. The default loan period is 14 days, buy you may select a 7,14, or 21 day loan period at this time. Be sure to choose the Kindle format – you will not be able to open EPUB files on your Kindle.
5. Click “Get for Kindle.” You will be redirected to amazon.com. Sign into your Amazon Kindle account if you have not done so already.
You may transfer your library eBook to your kindle one of two ways - wirelessly, or via USB. Some titles may only transferred by USB.
If you have a wireless connection, simply select your Kindle from the dropdown list and click “Get library book.” Your ebook will automatically download to your Kindle the next time it connects to a wi-fi network. If you don’t see your title downloading, and you are certain you are connected to wireless, you may need to re-synch, or even reboot, your Kindle. Please be aware that you will not be able to download your library book over an Amazon 3G wireless network. If you do not have access to an alternative wireless network, you will need to download your ebook to a computer, than transfer it to your Kindle via USB cable.
Titles automatically expire at the end of the selected loan period, so there is no neeed to worry about late fees. However, you may choose to return a title before it expires. To do so, you need to login into your online Amazon account, click "Manage Your Kindle," then find the title of the book you want to return. Next to the eBook title, click "Actions," then, "Return this book." To remove the title completely from your list of eBooks after it has been returned, click "Actions," then, "Delete."
If you have not downloaded the eBook to your cKindle, you may return the eBook by logging into your account on the Hamden Overdrive Digital Library web site and clicking the "Account" icon. You will see your checked out items on your bookshelf, and titles that have not been downloaded will display a "Return Title" that you can click to return your eBook to the library.